Saturday, June 11, 2016

Oreo Mousse: A Dessert Fit For A Queen

Hello everyone! It's story time. When I was a little kid, I used to spend a lot of time at my grandparents' house. I'd usually wind up having a lot of fun. Or maybe that's the sugar from all the treats I was given while there talking. Oh well, consuming treats is fun too, right? Among other things, I'd help my grandfather with his penny collection while I was there. He couldn't really see the numbers on the coins well, and that was pretty much the part where I come in. We'd spend hours out on the enclosed porch, me reading off what the coins said, and him placing the relevant ones into the collection books.

He collected Lincoln pennies, and every so often would wind up with a "new" bag to sort through. One day, though, this lone Canadian penny had made its way across the border and into this sack. Needless to say, when I saw a coin with my name on it, I freaked out something serious. Now, I'll admit, I was slightly disappointed when I realized that there wasn't a spot in the collection book for said penny, but that was quickly washed away by the pure excitement that my name was on a bit of currency! 

Grandpa decided to let me keep the coin, and I immediately showed it to Dad when he came to retrieve me. He then explained that the person on there was the Queen of England. Now, you have to understand something. For a little girl growing up in very rural America, the idea of a queen having my name was a HUGE thing. Granted, this also may have had something to do with the fact that I was riding on the Disney Princess train, like a lot of girls that age tend to do, and I knew that Queen was what happened when a Princess grows up (or at least that's the rough gist of it). Understanding why the Queen of England was on a coin from Canada took a few more years, but you can only expect a two year old to understand so much about politics.

For the next several years, I obsessively went through every bit of change that my parents got, sorting through them for more of the "my coins." Turns out that in the early 90's, Canadian currency was working its way into the middle of America fairly often. I wound up with a fair sized stash of them. My infatuation with this particular monetary denomination became so well known among my family members, that one year my uncle built me a small jewelry box with one of the coins embedded in the lower right hand corner of the lid. 

Flash forward a lot of years. When I found out that Queen Elizabeth II was celebrating her 90th birthday this year, I knew that I had to do something. More accurately, when I found out that her "public" birthday fell on the same day as my actual birthday this year, I kind of found it delightful, flashing back to all of those times as a kid that I basically crawled up my Dad's arm at the bank to check the pennies. That having been said, I'd actually like to do something in honor of the British Monarch. Here's hoping I don't make a total fool of myself. Wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary, really.

Your Magesty, in the event that you're actually reading this, I'd like to thank you for filling my childhood with wonder, and I wish you the best.

Honestly, I thought that the best way to go about this whole operation was in a nod to the place where this whole party started, so in remembrance of my grandparents, I present a modified version of my grandmother's Oreo Dessert. Honestly, I think if she knew what I was doing right now, Grandma would be getting a kick out of it.




Equipment:
  • Food Processor
  • Mixer
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pkg Oreo Cookies
  • 8oz Block Cream Cheese, Softened
  • 1 Tub Whipped Topping, Thawed
  • 1 pkg Hershey's Chocolate Pudding, Made According to Instructions, With Whole Milk
  • Chocolate Stars

Oddly enough, this recipe is super quick and simple, but tastes amazing. Grandma never really broke out the heavy machinery to get this put together, but as we've discussed previously, I'm a bum. So plug-in-ables it is. 

The first thing you're going to want to do is load the Oreo cookies into the food processor, grinding them into powder. I found that this works best if you turn the blade on and drop the cookies in one at a time, giving each of them time to get a head start on the powder process. 



The Carnage Of The Great Oreo Vs Blade Battle


From there, the Oreo bits and everything else except the stars (and the food processor, for my friends that want to get real technical with me) goes into the mixer bowl. You'll want to mix on medium-low speed until everything's well combined, and then take some cover and mix on high to get it all nice and fluffy. If you have a mixer shield, use it. Trust me, there will be chocolate in ALL THE PLACES.


Everybody's ready to start the party


All that's left to do at this point is serve it, and, as you can see, I garnished mine with a whole Oreo cookie and chocolate stars. Honestly, serving it is the hardest part, because, at least with my Oreo Mousse, the food liked to make a mass detour directly into my stomach.


Bonus Content: Every time that I see the word "Mousse" in this post, my brain processes it as "mouse," which is funny given the number of references to the Queen of England in here, mostly because I keep thinking of The Great Mouse Detective, in which the Mouse Queen of England was celebrating her Diamond Jubilee, which, as I understand it, happened recently-ish with the current human Queen of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment